Friday, March 03, 2006

Insurance & Family

I didnt insure myself till last year. I always treated it as a long term investment scheme and why I need to wait to get the returns after 20/30 years nu, I was not interested. we had a session reg new tax related stuff couple of months back. In that, the guy has mentioned that if you are the only earning member in the family, then you should insure--its mandatory. we cannot compensate the loss of the person in the family, but atleast the family will not have monetary issues because of his/her demise till they recover from the incident. All known facts only, but when I heard this time, I took it konjam seriously and mulled over on that and realized the importance of it.

Finally I got a term policy last month.

I was talking to my mom, told her that these are all the investments that I made till now, and I have a insurance policy too which covers X amount. I told her that I am keeping the documents in this file and elaathulayum nominee un per thaan ma koduthu irukennu solli mudikarthukulavae she started crying .."en da rajaa ipdi elaam solra"nu :-) paavam :-)

naanum senti'aana inum scene'aa pogumnu, I replied her in an authoritative tone "ithellam sonna udanae ethavathu aagumnu artham illai. U should know what I am doing, how much savings I have, how much money somebody borrowed from me etc etc"nu. paavama kaetutu irunthaangha.

Generally, the head of the family should discuss all these things with his wife/kids. Ennoda Appa didnt do, so we didnt know how much money he gave it others or got from others. And, after 6 years of his demise, only last year we came to know that he got a LIC policy and we got some money. But he didnt pay the premium for sometime, so they have taken some amount and gave back the rest.

Anyway, Just my thoughts ... :-)

1 comments:

REFLEX said...

Its always good to update ur family abt ur investments.