Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Pink eye

namma elaarum "Madras eye" dhaan kelvi patu irukom. Adhu US vanthaa, "Pink eye" aa maareechiba :D

After having a fun day on Sunday, I slept happily. Suddenly, I felt something fell into my right eye, it started itching and woke me up. I got scared and immediately rushed to the mirror and was shocked to see my eye. It turned completely red, swollen and started tearing (naan azhalai, kannu azhathathu--idhu epdi iruku:D). konjam neram atha paathutae iruken, the other eye too got affected and turned red. Thookam elaam complete'a poyidthu. I washed my eyes with cold water but no use. it was burning and itching. Odambuku elaam ethavathu vanthaa thaan, namma veeta vita (parents and family) ivlo thooram irukomnu bayamae varuthu.
bayathula moolai elaam velayae seyalai. konja neram amaidhiya yosichu paatha thaan, adhu "Madras eye" symptoms nu strike aachu. Thookathula irunthathaa or bayama nu theriyalai, "namma thaan US la irukom, Madras eye epdi vara mudiyum"nu yosika aarambichen. how dumb I am :D oru few secs la there was white discharge in the eyes and that confirmed the infection.

My mind started thinking and did the following; evlo fast aa yosikuthu mind :-)

* Doctor kita nalaiku appointment vaanghanum. Whether its covered in the insurance and if not, how much there are gonna charge?

* I checked my medical kit whether I got the eye capsule from India; paatha hhmm no I didnt.

* nalaiku doctor kita ponum. namma oor'na poi comfortable a "Madras eye vanthiduchunu" sollalaam. ingha enna solrathu" :-) I know all these sound silly, but I thought abt all these in a few secs the other day :(

* I went to comp and googled for "Madras eye" and read the symptoms. Yes, thats exactly what I have now. There I got the word "conjunctivitis"--medical term for "Madras eye" and now googled for "conjunctivitis USA" ..LOL :D appa thaan "pink eye" pathi therinjuthu.

* Seriously, appo varaikum "Madras eye" ennamo namma colloquial 'a use panitu irukomnu nenachen. It has a MEANING.

So I was all set then. oru thunda kann mela poatutu thoongiten :-)

Morning, I was comfortable explaining to the person whom I talked to for getting the appoinment. Went to the clinic and got some eye drops. Actually enaku vanthu irukarthu, bacterial infection thaan which is milder than the madras eye (i.e viral infection). Doctor told me that it could be the spring season allergy as this is the first time I am here in US.

anyway, I am ok now.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your pink eye did you go out or anyone else had that near you

usually it should get better quickly

but take care

J said...

Anon - thanks. aama, we went to Coney Island on Sunday :-)

Me said...

...that explains the crying..

J said...

hayooo Me, enghayo poyiteengha :-)

Adiya said...

:) Country ikku thaguindha appala color maarumo ??? :)

nice info.

Badri said...

conjunctivitis nu thane solluvaga! Athu enna pink eye, appo kuda athu red eye nu thane sollanum :)) take care.

J said...

Adiya - adha thaana naangha modhala irunthu solikitu irukom :-)

Badri - long time! thanks for dropping by.
ya, adhu namaku theriyuthu :-)

Anonymous said...

isn't pink a kind of pale red but less saturated

also at the beginning stages the eye may look pinkish than red

or maybe on the white faces of people here it looked more like pink

whatever it is referred to it is bad suffering and you rest and take care of yourself

J said...

S - ahaa, thanks. your analysis is great too :-)

Me said...

just curious do you know about bloggers fighting with one another...calling the other one stupid and writing posts on how stupid their views are??

J said...

Me - oh no ..OMG ippadi elaam kooda nadakuthaa???

Me said...

..unga commenta paathu me rotfl...

Archana said...

Good to know you are okay now :-)! Yeah, falling sick in this country is not a nice experience! Take care!

J said...

Me - adhula apdi enna sirikara maathri irukunu enaku theriyalai :-) vara vara ungha statement ku pinaadi oru paragraph'ae iruku ;-)

Archana - ya, true. thanks a lot :-)

Me said...

lol..that was a good one...nan perusa oru paragraph dhan adichen...but thot it would be better if you stay away from all these junk...

...even i keep away from those...i just follow 12 blogs regularly...