Friday, May 21, 2010

Passport Renewal Story

My passport is getting expired early next year. I thought of renewing it now just in case if there is a delay in getting my new one. Filled up the application online and made an appointment at Indian Consulate, NY on Wed. Since I chose the date, I thought it would be a simple process of visiting the office and submitting all documents. It took almost a day to finish that process and getting back home on Wed..sigh!

There were two kutty rooms in the consulate office and there were people all over the room. I had no idea where to stand, which counter is for what for the first few minutes. I don't know how this resource and infrastructure would suffice for serving people in so many states around NY. idhu orae oru office dhaan for NY, NJ, Ohio, CT etc etc. hhmmm.

After checking and rechecking (:)) all documents, I started waiting for my turn. My token number was 686 and the number displayed there was 612. appavae therinju pochu, inaiku ingha dhaanu :-)

There were lot of complaints from people who were waiting there and looked like a few were coming to the consulate for the 3rd or 4th time because of some reason (lack of documentation of what is required, rejection, delay in serving etc etc). The security and the officers who work there were having a rude face for some reason. avangha dhaan elaamae nu nenachutu irukaangha. pidikaama dhaan velai seiraanghunu theriyuthu. omg. And, 2 or 4 members (public) were fighting (and shouting) in the counter for not letting them know about the need for some documents during their previous visit and asking them to come again. One lady said that another applicant's docs were accepted because of "some connection" (thats exactly what she said) inside the office. After talking between themselves, they accepted her application. typical namma ooru govt office (inghayumaa?!!).

After listening to those stories, I wanted to get my work done the same day and avoid coming again and waiting in that not-enough-standing (leave alone seating) room. I had the money order for renewal fee and took cash for the postal fee. I read in the www.immihelp.com website that NY consulate accept cash but not other consulates in US. So, I felt like reassuring with the help desk lady. Kaetadhae nalladha pochu, she said that they accept either cash OR money order - only one mode of payment not both from a person. WTH. I dont know what difference does it make in their system. podhaa koraiku, I had only 35$ in cash as I thought that would be enough for the day.
illana, fulla cash pay panitu, apram money order refund pani irukaalam.

Current token number paatha 630 or something. I asked the security and couple of guys over there if there is any USPS nearby to take the money order. No one knew. My iPhone was a BIG help then. I found a USPS office at .25 miles. I came out and started walking as I felt it was close by. It was only 5 streets away but 5 avenues down the street. Ugh!

I didn't know it was 5 avenues down the road. When I looked at the number it was in 20's. so, 217 (USPS) varathuku inum evlo dhooramonu nenachu, oru cab eduthen (after crossing 3 ave). paatha bulb u :-) cab erina udanae oru avenue thaandi, full traffic. The cab driver said the USPS building was in the left. Time illadhanala, I got out and started walking. idhuku nadanthae vanthu irukaalamnu siripu :-)

I took the money order and it was 11.30am. The consulate closes at 12.15 and they don't allow anyone after that (at least they serve all applicants who has the token until the end of the day - thats a big relief). I took a cab again to go back to consulate.

When I went back the number on the display was 650. I waited for another hour to get my turn. When my token number was displayed, two counters were handling request, so I went to the 3rd counter and said hello to the person on the other side. She was working on some documents and she didnt even look at me. Again I said "excuse me, is this counter closed?". She didn't respond at all. Ugh! Then, the other counter was free and then I went there. At least the other lady should have a "Closed" board in her counter or respond to the person. oh God!

btw, I noticed that the employees speak in Hindi thinking that all Indians speak/know Hindi. huh! After getting all docs, she gave me a piece of paper with USPS tracking number scribbled on it and said that my new passport will be shipped next Tuesday. After coming home, I was wondering that I didn't even get a receipt from them and I am without passport now :D how scary :-)

And, today when I checked that paper for USPS tracking number, then I saw the lightly printed number and passport renewal application receipt (sort of). LOL :)) emba konjam ink oothi dhaan print panrathu :D

J

8 comments:

Archana said...

Ah I mailed my pp papers to the sf embassy and got back my renewed pp in a week. And I was singing praises about the embassy - good thing I did not go in person!

Me said...

Achocho...ana paravala ...atleast you were able to do it in a day....idhey India va irundha...maasa kanaka aazhirukum....

I went to the embassy in Houston. Best customer service. I didn't have to wait long, lots of seating and I got the passport in a week!

J said...

Archana & Me - oh in a week - thats so cool.

Me said...

profile photova parungaya...

J said...

LOL :))

preethi said...

tristate area'la namma ooru kathu romba adikudhu..LOL

J said...

Adhae dhaan :-)

Suresh Kanna said...

Would you like to get more visitors from Chennai?

Submit your blog in zeole.com/chennai . This is a one time submission.This would automatically submit a preview of your future blog posts in Chennai, with a link back to your blog.

Enjoy more traffic from Chennai :-)